POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cut & paste : Cut & paste Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:10:44 EDT (-0400)
  Cut & paste
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jan 2011 06:08:12
Message: <4d2d8b9c$1@news.povray.org>
Last week, I wasted about 20 minutes trying to fill out a form.

The problem is simple. The form contains a box where I'm supposed to
write a file path. But the pathname goes through 5 subdirectories,
ending in a 33-character filename. I don't know about you, but I can't
write that much text in a space less than 10cm across.

Of course, a computer can easily print that much text in such a space,
in a legible typeface. What it /can't/ easily do is print that text over
the top of the printed form.

The next result is that I had to undertake the ridiculous operation of
printing the form, printing the text to go on the form, and then cutting
the text out - with a pair of scissors - and gluing it to the form, and
photocopying it onto another sheet of paper (to be sure the glued
portion doesn't fall off or something).

All of this seems very silly to me. The printer is perfectly capable of
printing the final result. It's just that the computer software does not
allow me to.

(About the best that I could do would be to load the PDF file containing
the form, load it into Ghostscript, convert it into a bitmap, print the
text I want to a Postscript printer and redirect to file [thereby
creating a PS file], load that into Ghostscript, convert it to a bitmap,
and then use a bitmap editor to combine the two [huge] bitmaps together,
before finally sending that to the printer. That's a *hell* of a lot of
work for something this trivial.)

I seriously wonder why nobody has come up with software to composite two

overprint two PDFs. (Actually, it seems to be impossible to edit the PDF
files in any way, except the move whole pages around or edit metadata.

It seems daft to me that, in the modern age, this is still such a problem.

(On the other hand, I suppose if I could convince the people in charge
to make the PDF form into a *PDF form*, then I could fill it out
electronically...)