8 Oct 2024 23:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Molecular biology
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jan 2011 04:52:50
Message: <4d2d79f2$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/01/2011 07:56 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Seen at least one statement to the effect that "tree" isn't an accurate
> description at all, but rather the complex braiding you see at a river
> delta. It might split off in totally different directions at some
> points, but a lot of stuff close together is prone to flow back and
> forth between channels, maybe even "drifting" back together, when
> previously separate (though, so far we don't see any obvious examples of
> that).

The tree metaphor doesn't account for "horizontal gene transfer".

Bacteria reproduce asexually. However, they sometimes two cells will
hook up and swap genes with each other (without producing offspring).

Viruses, plasmids and other "transposable elements" can move genes from
cell to cell. (This is how genetic engineering works.)

The human genome actually contains several (mostly broken) viral genomes
within it. Usually a virus infects a cell, gets copied, and the cell
dies. At some point, an egg or sperm cell was infected, and the
infection became permanent. (And, presumably, not too detrimental.)

There's even some suggestion that these virii's ability to evade the
immune system might be how viviparous animals were able to evolve.
(I.e., how an embryo evades the mother's immune system.)

Then of course, the dynamic, ever-changing face of geology and geography
is such that there is an almost never-ending stream of habitats
appearing and disappearing all the time. Lakes dry out and become
multiple lakes, only to later reflood and become a single lake again.
Hydrothermal sea vents spring up, develop their own local tribe of
organisms, and then shut down, while new nearby vents appear.

Heck, black people and white people marrying, anyone?

It must surely happen all the time. It doesn't even require physical
separation. Just any time one group happens to not interact with another
group, and then later starts interacting again.