8 Oct 2024 23:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Molecular biology
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Jan 2011 04:29:30
Message: <4d2d747a$1@news.povray.org>
>> ID is not testable. It's so vague that any time someone falsifies it,
>> the proponents can just claim that the theory says something slightly
>> different, and hence is not falsified.
>
> That's a different problem. Denying the evidence of the failed tests
> doesn't mean that it passed the tests. It only means the proponents are
> pushing the concept regardless of whether it has failed the tests.

No, I'm saying that the ID people keep changing their minds about which
theory is the one they're advocating.

You don't change the theory half way through the experiment. That's not
how science works. If your theory is so inadequately specified that you
can change your mind about it every second Thursday, you're doing it wrong.

(But yes, the ID people *also* deny the evidence too...)

> ID is certainly testable: We've found no irreducibly complex
> substructures, we have overwhelming evidence of evolution, etc.

Correction: "Irreducibly complex" merely means that removing a single
component makes the thing stop working. We've found *plenty* of things
that are irreducibly complex. The point is, the ID people argue that
"irreducibly complex" = "cannot evolve", which is false.

All of which is window dressing, really. All of the "evidence for ID" is
actually "evidence against evolution". That's not how science works.
Einstein didn't overturn Netwon's highly successful theory of motion by
saying "hey, I think this is wrong". He did it by offering something
better. ID rests on the sadly mistaken belief that "evolution is wrong"
is the same thing as "ID is right". That's not how it works.