POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "out of memory" error during render in RC2 : Re: "out of memory" error during render in RC2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:31:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "out of memory" error during render in RC2
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 Jan 2011 15:38:56
Message: <4d2cbfe0$1@news.povray.org>
Le 11/01/2011 18:45, clipka nous fit lire :
>> Note: Despite the number of threads (-WT) by default, after a quick
>> start, there is mainly one core at 100% and the others off, due probably
>> to I/O to disk.
>
> Yes, I guess that's to be expected with a pretty simple scene at high
> resolutions: Storing a pixel into the image buffer seems to be taking
> more time than computing it.

I hope you won't mind that I change it a bit to get back some real
performance (at the cost of a bit of memory, but using only one core for
I/O when many were sitting doing nothing was just not my taste: now
everyone is working if you do not render in too fancy order...)
64 lines of cache instead of one seems a small price to my happiness.
(Ovus at 19000+ render now in 35 seconds, and about the same time to
write the PNG, instead of taking many many minutes of slow rendering)
 ( 373.849 CPU-seconds total, but the I/O were really killing the rendering)

I know it's RC2, but I think #5382 might get in, really (please review &
check)