8 Oct 2024 17:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Molecular biology
From: Warp
Date: 11 Jan 2011 15:19:00
Message: <4d2cbb34@news.povray.org>
> Yes, I'm a US citizen, and I've spent some time (more than most citizens,
> in fact) learning about the constitution and understanding its meaning -
> a meaning that doesn't cherrypick the parts that are relevant to my own
> point of view.

> I consider myself pretty non-religious, and yes, I get annoyed with
> things like courthouses posting the 10 Commandments.  That's a little
> different than the President saying "if you believe in prayer, then pray,
> and here's a day for it".  I don't care if it's Obama or Bush saying
> that.  For those who want to pray, knock yourselves out.  I'm not likely
> to join you in doing so, and as long as you don't try to make me pray or
> make those who don't want to do so, hey, that's cool.

  Well, look at it like this: You (and by that I mean the USA) have
basically two options:

  1) Keep the government separate and completely neutral with respect to
religion, taking no stance on it whatsoever (as long as they don't break
the law, of course), like any other civilized country.

  2) Keep arguing about the wording of your constitution, and the government
proclaiming religious events, and praying before state senate meetings, and
causing all kinds of controversy and legal battles over the matter.

  Which one of the two choices seems more practical in the long run?

--
                                                          - Warp