8 Oct 2024 17:12:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Molecular biology
From: Warp
Date: 11 Jan 2011 15:08:57
Message: <4d2cb8d9@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Seen at least one statement to the effect that "tree" isn't an accurate
> description at all, but rather the complex braiding you see at a river
> delta. It might split off in totally different directions at some
> points, but a lot of stuff close together is prone to flow back and
> forth between channels, maybe even "drifting" back together, when
> previously separate (though, so far we don't see any obvious examples of
> that).

  It's quite probable that many species divided (usually geographically)
into two isolated groups and started to drift genetically apart from each
other but then joined again before they drifted too much, and the gene pool
got intermixed once again, stopping the speciation that was happening.
(I don't know if there are concrete examples of this.)

--
                                                          - Warp