  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jan 2011 12:06:01
Message: <4d2c8df9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I don't think it would be physically possible for any kind of life to
> form that far from the Sun.

There's the Vernor Vinge story "A deepness in the sky", wherein the
protagonists evolved around a sun that was hot only a few decades out of
each several centuries and managed to hibernate through the cold times. I
imagine something like that with a comet could work out. Hard to see how it
would *evolve*, mind, unless the body started out in a close orbit that got
more and more eccentric over time somehow.

>   Chemicals need to react with each other, which means that there must be
> some kind of solution where they can freely float or otherwise move.

Weightlessness?

> (Also, most liquids other than water get denser when they
> solidify, which is a big problem.)

I'm not sure that's as much of a problem as you think it is for anything
other than fish.  Why do you think the fact that it floats is important?

Also, it floats in part because it's a polar molecule (i.e., electrically
asymmetrical), which may very well be more important than the result of
floating.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: