  Re: Molecular biology
From: Warp
Date: 11 Jan 2011 08:42:04
Message: <4d2c5e2c@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> How come?  Didn't life as we know it develop because there was plenty of
> water around?  On planets or moons much further away where another
> liquid is in plentiful supply (eg methane) couldn't some kind of life
> develop that uses that instead?  What's the general definition of life
> (without referencing the specific life we have on Earth)?

  Do other liquids have the same chemical properties advantageous to the
forming of life?

  Also, other liquids often require such cold temperatures that the planet
may be uninhabitable for that reason: It doesn't receive enough energy from
the Sun to form or sustain life.

  Also, if the liquid gets a higher density when it freezes, it can become
a problem with respect to forming life.

--
                                                          - Warp