  Re: Molecular biology
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 11 Jan 2011 07:53:34
Message: <4d2c52ce@news.povray.org>
Replying to Invisible but some comments on what Darren kicked off about
fingers.

On 11/01/2011 8:54 PM, Invisible wrote:

> I suspect what it boils down so is that there's no specific reason why
> some number other than 5 would be an advantage, so it hasn't changed.
> (This of course doesn't rule out random "neutral" changes I suppose...)

Given the enormous range of limb variations it is surprising that the
number 5 is so common.  Sure some of the digits might be fused or
reduced to almost nothing.

However I don't think it is true that *all* tetrapods have 5 digits.

Snakes are tetrapods.  While some snakes have vestigial hind legs, I
don't know that they actually have digits.  Most snakes have no
remaining legs to speak of - maybe a bump where the legs might have been
but no identifiable limbs and certainly no digits.

Similar with whale hind limbs I think.  Some species have vestigial
pelvis and hind limbs.  Usually within their bodies.  Occasionally some
individuals have some protrusion.  Maybe digits are present during
development of the foetus but as far as I know there are not actual
digits by the time they are born.  Could be wrong on that but in any
case they are well on the path to losing them altogether.

The limb changes here might start out as 'the limb genes are still there
but the gene(s) controlling their size, placement, function etc cause
them to get smaller, relocated or stop working'.  Given enough time
though, genes that generate something that is irrelevant tend to
accumulate changes and either become 'broken' or can be co-opted for
something else.

Then going the other way there are animals with more than 5 digits on
one or more limbs.  Some people for instance - see 'polydactylism'.
Some of the pictures out there are fake but it is a real condition.
Most common is 6 fingers or toes instead of 5.  It may be a quite
harmless single gene mutation or part of a more severe complex.  As far
as I know the milder form doesn't render the individual  prematurely
dead or infertile.

There is a breed or at least a population of 'polydactyl cats' that have
more than the usual number of toes on their front legs, back legs or
both.  They even apparently can be more dextrous than normal so that
might confer an advantage in some ways but there may be some
disadvantages as well.  Again, I don't think that the genetic change
that causes this is fatal.  It certainly does not prevent development
from egg to adult because these cats are real.

The point that some genes are deeply interconnected with others or are
so important to development or metabolism etc so tend to be highly
conserved is true.  But as with most things in biology there are more
things Horatio...