  Re: Molecular biology
From: scott
Date: 11 Jan 2011 05:06:30
Message: <4d2c2ba6@news.povray.org>
>> That's a terrible argument. "I couldn't imagine how something as complex
>> as predicting the future that way could have happened" is just as bad an
>> argument as "I couldn't imagine how hemoglobin came about."
>
> OK, well how about chaos theory? That puts hard bounds on what can and
> cannot be predicted. I should imagine that over the course of 4 billion
> years, one single stray photon would probably be enough to perturb the
> system sufficiently that it wildly diverges from your predictions.

Unless you run your prediction simulation on the same "hardware" as the
real thing.

I can run some chaotic program on my PC and the results look pretty
chaotic, yet I am then able to predict *exactly* the outcome if you run
it again on your PC (assuming same CPU architecture etc).

I can then be the intelligent designer, playing about with the initial
conditions until I find something that looks nice.  Then I can inform
you the initial values and you get to see the nice outcome too.