  Re: Molecular biology
From: Warp
Date: 10 Jan 2011 12:03:18
Message: <4d2b3bd6@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Be that as it may, I am against the teaching of life's origins on the
> public dime,

  The theory of evolution != the theory of life's origins.

  The theory of evolution says nothing about how life first came into
existence on Earth. That would be abiogenesis.

  Basically the only thing that the theory of evolution postulates is that
the genes of large populations change over time (something even the most
hardcore young-earth creationists don't deny) and that some changes get
preserved while others disappear due to natural selection (again, something
the creationists don't deny). That's about it.

> because it is a matter of public debate,

  The public doesn't get to decide the truth. That's just silly.

> What
> invariably happens, when the government is allowed this power, is that
> the people who are in the wrong will go running to the government to
> have their view imposed by fiat, and all conflicting views suppressed to
> one degree or another.

  So now teaching the theory of evolution is a government conspiracy. Right.

  Guess what happened to your credibility just now.

>  At the present moment a person who is skeptical
> that natural selection is sufficient to explain the entirety of
> observable living systems is subject to exclusion from participating in
> scientific and educational endeavors, even when the topic has no bearing
> on the origin of life.

  Would you also allow holocaust-deniers, 9/11 conspiracy theorists and
anti-vaccinationists to teach at public schools, just for "balance"?

--
                                                          - Warp