  Re: Molecular biology
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jan 2011 04:30:17
Message: <4d2ad1a9$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/01/2011 10:00 PM, Warp wrote:

>    While I know virtually nothing about string theory (well, string theories,
> as there are many; the unified theory would be the so-called M-theory),
> I find it a bit "unlikeable" for one reason.

>    However, which observation or measurement is string theory based on?
> As I said, I know next to nothing about it, but it just sounds to me
> like string theory is based on *nothing* at all. It just throws a big
> bunch of extra dimensions from nowhere, based on no measurement,
> observation or other rational justification, and builds up a huge
> bunch of random hypotheses based on these unfounded assumptions.

It's in idea, a theory, and they're trying to see whether it plays out
or not. Currently the math doesn't even work properly, but there's quite
a lot of people working on fixing that. There have been plenty of
scientific ideas in the past that people have come up with on a whim
which turned out to be correct, or almost correct. And besides, I rather
suspect that the basic assumptions of string theory aren't as arbitrary
as they seem, it's just that string theory is so highly abstracted from
the everyday world that most presentations of it for the general
population get watered down to the point where it /seems/ arbitrary.

Then again, I know little about string theory (or should that be
"theories"?) I'm content to just sit and wait to see if they eventually
sort it out or not.

The fundamental idea of string theory is that each subatomic particle is
actually a vibrating string (or possibly sheet), and each type of
vibration corresponds to a different particle. Note that this is not the
first time such an idea has been voiced; way back when the periodic
table was discovered, Lord Kelvin suggested that perhaps each elemental
atom was a different type of knot tied in the ether. The study of knot
theory began because people thought that be enumerating all possible
knots, they would discover the structure of the chemical elements. (But,
apparently, it turns out atoms are different due to the combinations of
subatomic particles they contain...)

And then, of course, there's Stephen Wolfram, who suggests that not just
matter but time itself is quantum, and that the universe is actually a
giant cellular automaton, and that the observed quanta are actually the
cells of the cellular grid. (They guy probably needs to put down the CA
simulator and go outside for a little while.)