POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Whoot! First video game : Re: Whoot! First video game Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Whoot! First video game
From: scott
Date: 10 Jan 2011 03:45:20
Message: <4d2ac720$1@news.povray.org>
> Well, technically, it's already a Windows version as well. You just need
> to install the compiler to get enough of the runtime.

When you use the "Publish" option from VS, doesn't it make an installer
with the correct code to download and install necessary runtimes?  Of
course that doesn't fix the button remapping issue for people without
xbox controllers.

I wrote a simple "InputManager" class to allow games to map multiple
physical controls from multiple devices to a single action in-game.  The
digital bit works fine, but I never got around to finishing off the
analogue part.  My idea was to be able to mark a particular logical
control as "analogue", then if you mapped a digital physical control to
it, it would work in an analogue way (with adjustable sensitivity etc).
  I needed that for the steering of vehicles in my game.

>> Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to port Pov-Ray to X-Box ;)
>
> With lots and lots of work. The amateur xbox games have to be written in
> C#, not C++. And there isn't a whole lot of memory on the xbox (512M if
> I remember?)

Yeh, I wonder what spec PC would match the performance of the xbox at
POV?  The xbox architecture is optimised for 3D games (that 512M is
shared between the GPU and CPU IIRC, so no delay transferring data
between the two like in a PC).  IMO the PS3 would be better for POV, you
used to be able to install Linux on it (and Intel had a C++ compiler
that used all the cores in the CPU), so it seems more feasible than on
the xbox.  There are some demo videos floating around of real-time
raytracing on the PS3.