  Re: Molecular biology
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Jan 2011 14:21:34
Message: <4d2a0abe$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/8/2011 7:44 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> It was an "alternate" design to existing ones, which would allow more
>> speed, but at less cost.
>
> Errr, no, not really. The thing about reversible computing is that it
> takes just as much energy to run in the forward direction if you want to
> progress at the same speed. If you get half way through a calculation
> and stop applying a power gradient, you're equally likely to go either
> direction. You can use arbitrarily little energy, but you'll go
> arbitrarily slowly forward.
>
>> What, if anything, it had to do with quantum computing, from that
>> article, would be rather unclear, since it quite literally never
>> mentioned it at all.
>
> Quantum computing is the only *actual* reversible machines out there,
> afaik. (Well, reversible in the sense of actually saving power to do so.)

Think we may be talking about different things here... The idea I am
talking about is that you programmaticaly do the equivalent of:

1 + 2 + 4 * 5 = result
roll back to 1 + 2
3 * 10 + 5 = result

The point of the idea being that if you do not have to "turn on" a
switch, only shut some off, the cost is lower. The trick being how to
know if the previous state *is* going to do that. Its an insanely mind
boggling idea, but some limited experiments have been done with it, and
it didn't require a quantum computer to do so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_computing

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {