  Re: Molecular biology
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Jan 2011 15:22:37
Message: <4d28c78d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   I think your view is biased. I don't see how "the story of Genesis is
>>> only an allegory, it did not happen literally" would discredit the entirety
>>> of christianity.
>
>> What did Jesus die for, if there is no original sin? Indeed, why should
>> anyone worship YHVH if he *isn't* the creator?
>
>   The question is literal interpretation vs. allegorical interpretation.

But we're not talking about the allegorical "sun rising" kind of thing (vs
Earth orbiting the Sun). We're talking about whether some supernatural being
intentionally created humans as they are, told them lies, then punished them
and all their descendants for believing some other third party that pointed
out the lies were lies. Then killed all but a handful because they disobeyed
him some more.

I don't see how you can turn that into an allegory that makes "sin" still be
a reasonable concept. What might have *really* happened that would make it
possible for the death of a rabbi a couple thousand years ago capable of
affecting what happens to you after you're dead? I just can't imagine what
would give YHVH any moral authority to dictate what humans do and to punish
them for failing to do so, if YHVH didn't actually create humans.

I'm honestly open to being educated here. It's fun to consider this sort of
thing. I don't think you'll convince me, but I'm honestly and sincerely
listening.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: