POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Whoot! First video game : Re: Whoot! First video game Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Whoot! First video game
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jan 2011 12:38:36
Message: <4d274f9c$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Am 07.01.2011 08:30, schrieb Nekar Xenos:
>
>> Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to port Pov-Ray to X-Box ;)
>
> I bet.
>
> Essentially all you'd need is a C++ compiler for that thing, then you're
> in business. Would need a new front-end of course - I don't think the
> X-Box knows what a command line is; or does it, Darren?

Honestly, all I've touched is the XNA, which is only C# (because it's
safety-enforced and controlled), not C++. The commercial companies are using
C++ for games like Batman or Half-Life, of course, but I think to do that
you need like a special XBox that doesn't enforce the security, along with
I'm sure complex contracts with Microsoft to get one and such. (That's how
the other platforms work, at least.)

Given that, I don't know if it has a CLI or not. On the other hand, I'm not
sure why you'd need a CLI anyway.  And given that, a GUI with a text-entry
box is a CLI. :-)

But I don't know if the XBox is running something like a Windows shell or
CLI inside, or whether the shell is canibalized enough that you only get the
dashboard even while you're developing.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: