POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Assumed_gamma in RC1 : Re: Assumed_gamma in RC1 Server Time
1 Jul 2024 15:09:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assumed_gamma in RC1
From: Stephen
Date: 5 Jan 2011 07:56:46
Message: <4d246a8e$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/01/2011 12:27 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 01/05/2011 07:41 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:>
>> IMHO, if you see the plant on the top right corner, you're too high on
>> gamma.
>> If you do not see the ball and the floor, you're too low.
>> (I know, that CRT is too dark)
>>

> Yes and after the recent doc additions on gamma handling I actually
> decided that my display gamma (g-card) looked better with 2.0 instead of
> 2.2. about the plant being visible. I didn't notice the one in top right
> corner until it was mentioned so I think I'm on the right track with
> display setup ... vaguely can make out an outline of something there.
> When I'm using assumed_gamma srgb I'm getting what looks ok to me
> (Compass example) ... but hey I appears that I've joined the confused
> side of this discussion.

Well I’m completely lost now. I can’t find Jamie’s image.
But from memory, I did not notice the plant until I had adjusted the
Gamma of the image then I knew it was there so could see it afterwards.
I’m beginning to liken this subject to Hi Fi, where the purists believe
that you should not have tone controls on your amp. Yes! But… ;-)

I suppose it a matter of personal preference.

--
Regards
     Stephen