POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Assumed_gamma in RC1 : Re: Assumed_gamma in RC1 Server Time
1 Jul 2024 14:48:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assumed_gamma in RC1
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Jan 2011 07:54:35
Message: <4d246a0b$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] povrayorg> schreef in bericht
> On 01/04/2011 01:15 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>>
>>> not surprised ... when the discussion got to be more like argument I
>>> just quit reading (goes off into the corner and lets the experts sort it
>>> out)
>>
>> This corner is getting very crowded, now ;-)
>>

> haha ... lets chat amongst ourselves then ... wonders why assumed_gamma
> srgb gives me what I want! setting it to 1.0 makes it WAY to light ...
> i'm gonna standy by how my display is setup ... interestingly enough
> Jamies scene with the tree (plant) in the corner looked just fine!

My own solution was quite simple: Some time ago I have I set my LCD monitor
to srgb; POV's Display_Gamma to srgb; assumed_gamma to 1.0. And everything
has been fine since then. I cannot follow large parts of the gamma
discussion, but at least I have understood that these settings are
fundamental, so I do not bother about it any more.  :-)
The only thing now is that in some cases I have to experiment  with rgb <>
or srgb <> in my textures, but that is fun.

Thomas