POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:09:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: clipka
Date: 4 Jan 2011 10:55:49
Message: <4d234305$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.01.2011 16:25, schrieb scott:

> There are colour spaces designed specifically so that equal distances
> equate to equal difference perceptions, one of these could be used
> instead of rgb (just for the interpolations, if some keyword like
> "perceptual" is specified) and it would give correct results for any
> possible input colours.

I guess you're making a good point there, for why the way I'm aiming for
is the right way to go: Making linear color space the default and fixing
the places where it leads to noticeably unpleasant results. Because
after all, I'm convinced that those places have always been problematic,
but haven't been recognized as such because it wasn't that obvious as
with a linear color space.

So yes, you've convinced me that we need to leave RGB space there. Maybe
color map interpolation is a good place to start introducing color space
handling into the POV-Ray code.