POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : any hidden line rendering api? : Re: any hidden line rendering api? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:34:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any hidden line rendering api?
From: Alain
Date: 23 Dec 2010 19:15:05
Message: <4d13e609$1@news.povray.org>

> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>>
>> Such applications normally use triangle meshes as the underlying
>> geometric representation, and (at least in hidden lines mode) rendering
>> algorithms totally different from raytracing, akin to those used in
>> computer games.
>
> I also use meshes(if by saying triangle mesh you mean models exported from
> 3dsmax ) yes they make up 99% of my models in a scene only walls are drawn by
> povray macro.
>>
>> To do it with raytracing, you'd have to...
> I dont necessarily have to use povray to accomplish this goal, povray is already
> doing the heavy lifting by producing beautiful 3d textured images.
> I just need a way to produce simple(?) hidden lines of models as depicted in
> some images I posted.
>
> I gather this is no easy task in any environment, maybe except for autocad
> applications. I mean my 3d needs are based on and provided for by povray and
> xna.
> If I based my 3d rendering needs on autocad based (maybe dwg files) it would be
> a whole lot easier to accomplish the hidden line rendering objective.
>
> As I realize other applications I was talking about are almost all of them are
> based on autocad like (or similar to autocad, definitely)rendering techniques.
>
> I am not about to give up povray and xna for this hidden line stuff, on the
> contrary I might give up on hidden lines to keep povray and xna. But I think
> autocad based drawing is somewhat more friendly to hidden line rendering.
>
> thank you very much

If you are only interested is seeing the shape of the objects, with
colouration, you can use +q0 on the command line.
This is the quality setting at it's lowest value.

This gives an image using only full ambient illumination ignoring all
normals, reflections, light and shadows. Everything have flat shades.

But, it will not highlight the edges of your objects.

Alain