POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
1 Jul 2024 09:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: Warp
Date: 23 Dec 2010 15:10:39
Message: <4d13acbe@news.povray.org>
Jaap Frank <jjf### [at] casemanl> wrote:
> On the contrary, I want to understand why I can't get my three
> monitors do what Warp and clipka are suggesting:
> In principle I should configure  those monitors in such a way that
> the right striped side intensity correspond somewhere in the middle
> of the right (3.7) strip. I can tell you that's impossible. There is no
> way I can reach that.

  On your monitor, does the pov3.6 gradient on the left look about linear,
while the pov3.7 gradient very non-linear (with most of the shades being
much closer to white than black?

  If you look at the picture from sufficiently far away so that the
patterns on the sides look gray, where would you put them on the pov3.6
gradient?

  If your answer to the first question is that the pov3.6 gradient looks
way more linear than the pov3.7 gradient, and the answer to the second
question is that the pattern looks about the same as the middle of the
pov3.6 gradient, then I'm puzzled, as I don't understand how that is
physically possible.

  An idea comes to mind: Double the size of the image (so that the
horizontal lines on the patterns on the sides become 2 pixels thick),
check that the pattern does indeed alternate between pure white and
pure black, and look at the image from even farther away. Does it still
look the same? Make it 3 times as large as the original (so that the
horizontal lines become 3 pixels thick). Does it still look about the
same brightness?

  I'm wondering if your monitor is blurring or antialiasing the pattern,
causing it to become dimmer. Making the horizontal lines thicker should
remove that possibility.

--
                                                          - Warp