POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
1 Jul 2024 09:40:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: Jaap Frank
Date: 23 Dec 2010 14:55:21
Message: <4d13a929@news.povray.org>
>clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
>- It is however also perfectly normal for the original black-and-white
>striped background to look more like the middle swatch in the /right/
>strip when squinting your exes.
>
>"Warp"  schreef in bericht news:4d135d05@news.povray.org...
> As I have been discussing in length in this thread, the definition of
>"linear" is a bit ambiguous.

Let me first say I don't want to start a new discussion between
two nonconverging opinions, because that's NOT what I wanted.

On the contrary, I want to understand why I can't get my three
monitors do what Warp and clipka are suggesting:
In principle I should configure  those monitors in such a way that
the right striped side intensity correspond somewhere in the middle
of the right (3.7) strip. I can tell you that's impossible. There is no
way I can reach that.

Ive did send me to

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

to tune my monitors. You get three bloks with colored squares
inside other colored squares and a gray square for three light
intensities.
I've slide my sliders for red, green and blue for hours, but I couldn't
get it right. The result was awfull, the monitor was totally wrong
in color and brightness.
At last I took a fotograph of my daughters wedding and used this
to get the colors right. This fotograph has a lot of colors that I
have in my head to compare with (green from three days fresh leaves,
sandwashed wood of a bridge over a pond and so on). After I made
this the way I remember those colors I went back to this site.
Well, now it was exactly as it should be. What I couldn't do first,
I did in a quarter of an hour with this fotograph.
Further I learned that the monitors are not exactly gamma 2.2, but
about 1.8-2.0  for the dark intensities, about 2.0 around the middle
intensities and around 2.0-2.2 for the high intensities. Maybe this is
the difference between gamma 2.2 and srgb correction.
I'm planning to make a tutorial for it and put it in p.b.tutorials. It will
take about fifteen minutes to tune your monitor.

Jaap:
> Don't say it's the thrinking technic, because for me it's absolutely the
> same for the big and the small one.
Clipka:
> (I guess you mean "shrinking"?)

I missed that one :). Guess it's because Christmas is coming.

Jaap