POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : any hidden line rendering api? : Re: any hidden line rendering api? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any hidden line rendering api?
From: clipka
Date: 23 Dec 2010 12:56:05
Message: <4d138d35$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.12.2010 15:43, schrieb optima:

> I dont understand how other kitchen design applications do it. Cause all
> interior design apps I saw have different viewing modes. One of them is
> hiddenlines(at least 20-20 calls it that, it may have other names too).

Such applications normally use triangle meshes as the underlying
geometric representation, and (at least in hidden lines mode) rendering
algorithms totally different from raytracing, akin to those used in
computer games.

To do it with raytracing, you'd have to...

(1) store some more information in the image buffer in addition to the
computed colours, namely the distance to the object at a given pixel,
and the surface normal at that point;

(2) after rendering, postprocess the image buffer to find sudden changes
in (a) depth (indicating the outline of an object), (b) surface normals
(indicating a non-outline edge of an object), and/or (c) color
(indicating the boundary between two materials; this one is actually
optional; note that it could also indicate the outline of a shadow, so
you'd probably want to use flat shading for such a scene).