POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Class/flow diagrams : Re: Class/flow diagrams Server Time
26 Apr 2024 22:38:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Class/flow diagrams
From: clipka
Date: 23 Dec 2010 07:24:50
Message: <4d133f92$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.12.2010 08:07, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 23/12/2010 00:50, Aidy nous fit lire :
>> Hiya
>>
>> I'm doing a final year project at university working with povray and need to
>> work with the source code but due to its sheer size I have no idea where to
>> start and I've been unable to find any diagrams that help with this.
>>

> Have you tried to apply some tools on the sources ?
> As blind as it could be, doxygen might already give you some clues.
> (but it won't explain how it happens, and you'd better investigate the
> boost::thread (or whatever their names))

A few header files indeed include doxygen-compatible documentation.

>> I was wondering if there were any class diagrams or flow diagrams showing the
>> structure of the program or the execution process. If not, what is the entry
>> point of the program? Is it the povray.cpp file in backend?

I'd suggest starting at

   TracePixel::operator()

in tracepixel.cpp, and work your way "up" and "down" from there. This is
where a single pixel is computed.

>> And also, how close is the current
>> beta to being complete? As it's design for multi-core processors is ideal for my
>> work but I don't want to do loads of work and then have it all change due to the
>> final release changing things.

We plan on releasing 3.7.0 proper in just a bit over a week's time, so
you can safely presume that the overall architecture is not going to
change anymore until then :-).