POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
1 Jul 2024 09:56:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: clipka
Date: 23 Dec 2010 06:51:45
Message: <4d1337d1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.12.2010 19:34, schrieb Jaap Frank:

> Don't say it's the thrinking technic, because for me it's absolutely the
> same for the big and the small one.

(I guess you mean "shrinking"?)

Theoretically, if your your display is configured properly, the
/background/ of the thumbnail should look different.

> Can everybody react on this with which side is for them the right
> one, because I'm under the impression that more people see what I see.

Let me re-iterate the facts here:

- It is perfectly normal for the left (double-width) strip to /look/
more linear than the right (single-width) one.

- It is also perfectly normal for typical image processing software to
report the "RGB values" or "greyscale values" of the left strip as
near-"linear" (something like (0;0;0), (25;25;25), (51;51;51),
(76,76,76), ... (255;255;255), or 0%, 10%, 20%, ... 100%)

- It is also perfectly normal for typical image processing software to
average the black-and-white striped background to the same value as the
middle swatch in the left strip when creating a scaled-down version of
the image.

- It is however also perfectly normal for the original black-and-white
striped background to look more like the middle swatch in the /right/
strip when squinting your exes.

- The black-and-white stripes of the original-size image background
/inevitably/ generate a physical light intensity exactly halfway between
black and white, i.e. /truly/ 50% white.

=> The left stripe typically /looks/ linear, while the right strip
typically /is/ linear.