POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : any hidden line rendering api? : Re: any hidden line rendering api? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: any hidden line rendering api?
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Dec 2010 17:23:41
Message: <4d1128ed$1@news.povray.org>
optima wrote:
> If I can use a shader in xna that can show 3d objects only as hidden lines
> then problem is solved(almost). Cause I am already familiar with xna.

It's not hard. draw the background in white. Draw the model with clockwise
culling in black. Draw the model scaled down 2% in white with
counterclockwise culling. Ta dah. :-)

I'm not sure what you mean by "hidden lines" renders, tho. Do you meen just
drawing the edges, like your sample picture? Because hidden lines per se is
pretty easy and already done with painter's algorithm, pov-ray, or any
graphics card with a depth buffer.

Alternately, draw the model as a depth map and then run it through an edge
detector algorithm? Again, I'm not sure what you mean by hidden lines.

The phrase you're looking for might be "cel shading", (or cell shading)
which means a cartoon-like flat-colors look to the image.

http://create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/sample/nonrealistic_rendering

It can make images like this?

http://create.msdn.com/assets/cms/images/XNA_NonRealisticRendering_02_large.jpg

--