POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Germ Theory Denialism : Re: Germ Theory Denialism Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Germ Theory Denialism
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Dec 2010 17:16:29
Message: <4d11273d@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So exactly what's wrong in promoting equal rights for everybody, and
> abolishing special treatment for some groups of people?

I didn't say it was wrong.

>   If the current situation is that some minorities are being discriminated
> against, the solution is not to give them *more* protection than to the
> rest.

Are you saying that the current levels of protection are adequate?

> Two wrongs don't make a right. You don't fight discrimination with
> more discrimination. The correct solution is to give them the *same*
> protection as everybody else. That, by definition, removes the discrimination.

Yep. And this is exactly the sort of thing affirmative action is supposed to
address.

And, again, "the same protection" prevents both rich and poor from sleeping
under the bridge, and prevents both gay and straight men from marrying other
men. That's what you get in a democracy, sometimes even in a constitutional
democracy.

I'm not saying that affirmative action is the right solution to problems
like this. I'm saying that this sort of balance doesn't naturally arise from
democracy, and that obtaining this sort of balance is therefore
non-democratic and implicitly supports those statistically discriminated
against more than it supports those statistically doing the discrimination.

>   At least here if you actually win the case, the company that accused you
> will have to pay for your lawyer fees. (This makes sense because it avoids
> people/companies abusing the legal system to cause economic harm to somebody
> by forcing them to pay legal fees.)

As I say, it depends on the case. Here if the reason you sue is to make them
pay legal fees, then it's a frivolous case and you can get lawyer fees.
Sometimes you have to sue them back (which is called a counter suit) to get
your costs back. There's a strong sense that "justice should be served", but
it doesn't always cover lawyer fees; it is often up to the judge or the jury
as I understand it. When it does, you then have to go collect the lawyer
fees after the fact, so if you go broke before you win, you're screwed, and
if the other side goes broke before you collect, you're screwed.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: