POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IOR List from CGSociety : Re: IOR List from CGSociety Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IOR List from CGSociety
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Dec 2010 09:59:42
Message: <4d10c0de$1@news.povray.org>
Le 21/12/2010 13:31, clipka a écrit :
> Am 21.12.2010 10:54, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
>
>> And refracting aluminium... just wondering.
>
> /All/ materials have an index of refraction, even metallic ones.
>
> The value for alumin(i)um is definitely wrong though: Refractive indices
> of metals are actually complex numbers.

I agree if we go with the electromagnetic model (including the various
polarisations) of propagation. (and while we are at it, let's handle
chromatics too, it's just the easy part before handling birefringence
and other natural phenomenons.)

But it's a bit hard to just use it with the ray model.

Moreover, the original list came from a computer graphic site, I'm
afraid it's yet some kind of magic numbers in a hidden formula to make
it look good as the material with the usual set of light. A bit like the
ratio of ambient/diffuse or similar properties of Povray.

We could probably make a list of
phong/phong_size/specular/roughness/crand  settings for each material...
it would have the same kind of magic numbers.

Just like we have the "metals.inc" with many chrome / silver / copper.

<joke>
I'm volunteering to test the precious gems rendering... please provide
me with many real big samples of diamond, rubies, sapphires, emerald,
... for comparisons. (samples won't be returned).
I can do precious metal too: gold, silver, copper,... need at least
100kg of each, thanks.

--
A good Manager will take you
through the forest, no mater what.