POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:48:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: scott
Date: 21 Dec 2010 08:45:29
Message: <4d10af79$1@news.povray.org>
> Not sure whether I mentioned it here or not, but such a mechanism has
> already been on my agenda for a while (it will not make it into 3.7.0
> proper though);

OOC did you decide already which algorithm to use for this?  Will it
give more linear looking gradients between different colours too?

 > the syntax would be something along the lines of
>
> pigment {
> gradient y
> color_map {
> perceptual
> [0.0 rgb 0]
> [0.5 rgb 1]
> [1.0 rgb 0.5]
> }
> }

That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.  Maybe Warp will
argue that the default should be "perceptual" though, and we need a
"linear" keyword to revert to the existing behaviour.

> There's also the problem that photographs may be non-linear as well;
> digital cameras aren't typically calibrated, and photographic paper has
> non-linearities, too.

I have no idea how well consumer-grade cameras are made, but my camera
has an option for sRGB or Adobe RGB colour space, so I imagine it can't
be that far off either one when selected.  Photographic film is probably
worse, IDK.