POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
29 Jun 2024 05:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: scott
Date: 21 Dec 2010 06:00:12
Message: <4d1088bc$1@news.povray.org>
>    I suppose the fundamental question would then be: "If I say to povray
> to produce a linear gradient, should it produce a gradient which is
> linear according to light intensity, or according to the perceived
> linearity as seen by people?"

Agreed, as I wrote already it might be a good idea for an additional
keyword (to be used in colour maps) that specifies whether you want
physical linear interpolation (which will "look" non-linear) or some
other interpolation type suited to the human visual system.  This would
be totally separate to any gamma settings, as it has nothing to do with
gamma.

For grey-scales you can already simply use something like "poly_wave 3"
to get a more natural gradient, but once colours are involved it's going
to look wrong without some more sophisticated interpolation algorithm.

>    As for whether eg. surface shading looks more realistic with the new
> gamma handling or the old one, it would be interesting to see some
> actual comparisons with photographs.

The problem with that kind of test is that you are also testing the
surface lighting equations used in POV (which are a simplification of
real surfaces).  I wasn't aware there was any doubt as to whether the
new gamma was more accurate (you can simply test it with a black/white
checkerboard next to 50% grey).