POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:50:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: scott
Date: 21 Dec 2010 04:48:20
Message: <4d1077e4$1@news.povray.org>
>    As said, I don't really know *why* this is so. As I have mentioned,
> with my CRT a 'rgb 0.5' as produced by pov3.7 by default looks about
> 50% gray when compared to a test pattern, so *in theory* a linear
> gradient produced by pov3.7 should look linear.

No it shouldn't - your eye/brain does not see light in a linear fashion.
  50% actual brightness from something (as measured in cd/m^2 or
whatever) will *not* look half as bright as 100%.  It's no different to
a real scene, light bulbs, or an image on your monitor.  It's just the
way your eye/brain works.

An analogy is hearing, a sound with twice the physical power (in Watts)
does not sound twice as loud to a human.