POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I am convinced... : Re: I am convinced... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I am convinced...
From: scott
Date: 21 Dec 2010 04:36:18
Message: <4d107512@news.povray.org>
> (basically the only relatively successful worms
> in the unix world have exploited bugs in the systems to spread themselves,
> rather than relying on the users; fix the bug, and the worm stops;

Recently it's the same on Windows (Outlook has prevented you running
executables for years now).

There are several other important differences between viruses on Unix
type OSs and Windows.  Firstly, the average "computer knowledge" of unix
users is probably way higher than windows users, this in itself prevents
a load of viruses spreading.  Secondly, virus writers know this, so
target Windows.  Do not underestimate a large amount of people with
malicious intent.  I would be very surprised if similar exploitable bugs
and loop-holes don't exist in Unix, it's just people haven't searched
that hard for them.

Also I wonder if having an open-source OS would make it more or less
vulnerable to viruses compared to closed-source (if all other factors
were equal)?  On the one hand virus writers can browse the source code
looking for exploits (surely way easier than reverse engineering or
random testing), but on the other hand people can do the same to close
the exploits.