POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
26 Jun 2024 12:57:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: clipka
Date: 20 Dec 2010 09:00:30
Message: <4d0f617e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.12.2010 12:38, schrieb Kenneth:

> I think it's presumptuous to assume that I (and undoubtedly others) who use this
> 2.2 method are simply 'not getting it' or that we're 'abusing' gamma for
> artistic purposes simply out of ignorance (or whatever.) Personally, I give this
> topic *much* thought--always comparing what I see in real-life to what I see (or
> think I should see) on a computer screen and in images that I make. It's an
> on-going process for me--and I'm still open to 'correcting' my behavior...but in
> the final analysis, it's my *eyes* that I trust, not technical jargon or dogma.

A similar on-going process happens on the other side of the fence, btw.

Fact is, the pre-3.6 gamma handling (which was actually a non-handling,
based on pure naive ignorance of the issue) was physically wrong, with
no way whatsoever to get it right; "assumed_gamma" was an approach to
fix that (and its intentions were no more than that; it always was
intended as a technical tool, not an artistic one).

Fact is also, the 3.6 assumed_gamma mechanism got deprecated not (or at
least not primarily) because it was wrong (it wasn't; it was incomplete,
and the implementation was partially inconsistent, but as a concept it
would have been a step in the right direction) or still allowed for
"abuse", but due to internal architectural changes - the separation into
a "front-end" and a "back-end", which is a necessary step towards
networked rendering (and also greatly helped to implement multithreaded
rendering). The separation between the two ends was deemed to run right
through the assumed_gamma mechanism.

Another fact is that 3.7 gamma handling originally started out as indeed
effectively forcing "assumed_gamma 1.0" on all new scenes, plus a
differentiating between the File_Gamma and Display_Gamma keywords. That
was all 3.7 gamma handling originally did.

Since then, shortcomings of this approach have been identified and
addressed, such as how to deal with gamma pre-corrected input image
files (which are by far the majority), and how to make life easier for
people who prefer to enter colors in gamma pre-corrected format because
it feels more natural.

Other objective or subjective shortcomings have been identified by now
which will /not/ be addressed in 3.7.0 proper:

- Even with the "gamma" keyword, entering gamma pre-corrected colors is
more cumbersome than would be appropriate (my personal opinion is that
they should be just about as easy to enter as linear colors). However,
they /can/ be entered by now using what I deem a pretty good syntax, so
it was decided to not do anything about this for 3.7.0 (which we can
realistically hope to release soon), and postpone the issue to a later
version.

- Gradients have been on my agenda for quite a while already, but I
hadn't found the time to investigate; nor was I aware that more
"natural-feeling" gradients can be achieved using "poly_wave 2.2". While
being more cumbersome than I'd like, again it /can/ be done, and I still
have it on my personal agenda for a later version.

- Spotlights are another topic, but with those I presume that the
tightness parameter provides enough artistic freedom already.

- Likewise, the smoothness of diffuse illumination on curved surfaces
can be enhanced beyond what's typically realistic simply by using the
brilliance keyword. In a similar manner, the appearance of highlights
can be adjusted via the roughness and phong_size parameters.

- Using gamma adjustment to simulate photographic film non-linearity is
also on my agenda, and for this there is indeed no replacement ATM; but
this clearly falls into the category of post-processing steps, for which
POV-Ray currently has a policy of not doing those. (There are currently
signs that this position may be given up, but in that case there will be
a mechanism to which gamma tweaking is just one of many uses.)

What I'm saying here is that the advocates of the old pre-3.6 model are
not forgotten, and some of their points are (and have already been)
taken quite seriously. The direction will not be to retain assumed_gamma
though, but rather to complement the new gamma handling model with
features to easily achieve the effects asked for.

Finally, here is one more fact: For some file formats (like PNG, OpenEXR
and Radiance HDR), it is to the best of my knowledge /impossible/ to
achieve a well-defined behaviour regarding gamma that suits both
technical and artistic use of a single gamma-handling mechanism. Thus we
/need/ a purely technical gamma handling mechanism if we want to support
physical realim at all, and where this does not fit the needs of people
who prefer artistic freedom we need to find other ways to give back that
freedom.