POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : A poly 16 file for Le_Forgeron : Re: A poly 16 file for Le_Forgeron Server Time
19 May 2024 05:45:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A poly 16 file for Le_Forgeron
From: Jaap Frank
Date: 19 Dec 2010 20:56:51
Message: <4d0eb7e3@news.povray.org>
I've been experimenting with the file Spiral_poly8.

At first I tried different values for C in the poly 8. The mathematical
derivation gives a zero, but then there is a line along the y-axis visible.
In the past I had to put a very small value in it to prevent sudden
system break downs. That's not the case anymore, but a bit bigger
value, such as 0.0001, makes the central line disappear. In fact
there is a growing cilinder along the y-axis, if C gets bigger, that
wipe out any surface there. You can see that if you choose the
Minor_X_Radius almost as big as the Major_Radius.
If you choose the Minor_X_Radius greater then the Major_Radius,
it still renders, but values smaller then zero are not possible, so
there are no intersecting surfaces.

To see the form of the spiral I toke a look from a greater distance,
but to see it better I narrowed the angle of view. Le_Forgeron was
speaking of noice in its picture with the poly16 file. I wonder
if this is the same effect. If rendered with three different viewing
angles and adjusted the z-distance to compensate for the greater
pictures, because it actually acts like zooming in if you lower the
viewing angle of the camera. You can see the results in the
pictures. At 'normal' distance nothing to see, but the further
away you go, the more noise there is. I'm puzzled here. How
can this influence the poly-solver, for obviously it does.

Maybe this helps finding a solution for the noise.

Jaap Frank

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spiral_poly8_angle 5.png' (285 KB) Download 'spiral_poly8_angle 15.png' (142 KB) Download 'spiral_poly8_angle 45.png' (157 KB) Download 'us-ascii' (12 KB)

Preview of image 'spiral_poly8_angle 5.png'
spiral_poly8_angle 5.png

Preview of image 'spiral_poly8_angle 15.png'
spiral_poly8_angle 15.png

Preview of image 'spiral_poly8_angle 45.png'
spiral_poly8_angle 45.png