POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps : Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps Server Time
26 Jun 2024 12:54:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma of interpolated colors in color maps
From: Ive
Date: 19 Dec 2010 18:19:41
Message: <4d0e930d$1@news.povray.org>
On 19.12.2010 21:09, Warp wrote:
>    I don't remember if this has been discussed before, but the new gamma
> handling might cause headaches when using color maps and other interpolated
> maps.

It has been stated numerous times that assumed_gamma should not be used
for artistic purpose. What you actually want is a non-linear gradient
and there are quite a lot possibilities for this e.g.

pigment {
   spherical
   poly_wave 2
   color_map {
     [0 rgb 0]
     [1 rgb 1]
   }
}

or use a different wave function or write your own function or do
whatever you like but it isn't  - and never was - a good idea to misuse
assumed_gamma for such a purpose.
And you did read the message that assumed_gamma is deprecated?

>    I fear that most people will simply learn to always write the magical
> line "global_settings { assumed_gamma 2.2 }" at the beginning of every
> scene (or whatever will end up being the proper way in the final version),
> making the whole gamma correction thing rather moot.

And I'm well aware that a lot of POV-Ray users (among them some of the
most well known) did in past 3.6 times always write
global_setting {assumed_gamma 1.0}
into the scene file. No trouble for them.

-Ive