POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs vray render quality : Re: povray vs vray render quality Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs vray render quality
From: Alain
Date: 15 Dec 2010 19:42:18
Message: <4d09606a$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain<aze### [at] qwertyorg>  wrote:

> Hi,
> I will try your suggestions (Alain), very valuable advice.
> I use v3.6.1, is it worth to switch to 3.7 because it has  multiprocessor
> support and may render upto 30-40% faster in multicore computers?
>
> yes, I have problem with metals specially with rad on.
> http://www.kitchendesigned.com/tmp/rad_hood.jpg
>
> the code
> pigment {color rgbf<200,200,200>/255}
> finish {phong 1 ambient 0 reflection 0.5}}
>
> Do you suggest that I use metal and glass inc instead of the rgb I use
> currently?
> And what about the effect of the said inc files with rad on and off?
>
>> I agree with clipka analysis.
> I agree with anything he says too :D
>
> thank you very much
> optima

I don't suggest that you use metal.inc and glass.inc. They tend to have
extra ambient that don't work with radiosity.

The default phong_size is normaly to broad for metals. Use a relatively
large value, like 200 or more.
Maybe using specular highlight could give you a beter result. Use a
small roughness value, usualy less than 0.01.
Don't forget the metallic keyword.

For the glass, you should use reflection{Min_Reflection Max_Reflection
fresnel} and add conserve_energy to your finish.
Don't forget to set an ior. Using some dispersion can greatly improve
your glass materials, even glass panes.

I think that you should update to 3.7 for many reasons:
Multiprocessor support.
HDR support.
Beter focal blur and antialiasing.
Octree bounding giving faster renders.
Back-side illumination and sub surface light transport.
area_illumination for area_light.
Distinct ambient and emission settings.
And many other improvements.

Alain