POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs vray render quality : Re: povray vs vray render quality Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs vray render quality
From: Tim Cook
Date: 14 Dec 2010 17:28:38
Message: <4d07ef96@news.povray.org>
On 2010-12-14 06:17, clipka wrote:
> modelling dull metal: You really need blurred reflection to make that
> look convincing, the "diffuse" term is an insufficient substitute. At
> present, that means you'll need to use some micro- or macronormals
> approach.

It's strange that the impression that I get from references to using
micronormals for blurred reflections is that it is somehow a
less-than-ideal solution.  Isn't that how blurred reflections are
created in reality, though?  (Well, at least as far as texture normals
represent a surface feature...)  The faster, corner-cutting methods used
by other renderers are what's cheating.  ;)

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net