POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU usage : Re: GPU usage Server Time
13 May 2024 18:29:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU usage
From: clipka
Date: 14 Dec 2010 06:21:18
Message: <4d07532e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.12.2010 08:53, schrieb oleg:
> Hi,
> Iam a newbee. A colleague asked me to do some research in using pov-ray and GPU.
> After reading your comments it seems not a good idea to render pictures with GPU
> power because of single precision. But what about the Nvidia Tesla and its high
> DP processing power? Are there any project in progress or does it make sense to
> think about using the Nvidia Tesla GPUs for rendering?

Those comments are outdated, as double precision does not seem a problem
anymore on modern GPUs (at least the high-end ones, and GP-GPUs such as
Tesla).

Fusing POV-Ray with GPU would be a challenging task, as POV-Ray's
internal architecture relies on recursive function calls, which are
still a problem with GPUs; also, POV-Ray does not provide any
sophisticated mechanisms to "bundle" rays into batches to undergo
simultaneous processing (which would be necessary to exploit the full
power of a GPU); you would need some mechanism to identify "similar"
rays ("coherence" would be a buzzword here, though not in the laser sense).