POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt : Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:30:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Dec 2010 07:28:55
Message: <4d061187@news.povray.org>
On 12/12/2010 09:59 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> A proof is usually a highly abstract sequence of logical steps which
> demonstrates that something /is/ true. Myself, I'm usually more
> interested in trying to get an intuitive feeling for /why/ it is true.

For example... There is a rather famous proof that asserts that Sqrt(2)
is irrational. It proves this by demonstrating that any ratio equal to
Sqrt(2) can be cancelled down an infinite number of times, which is
absurd. Hence, such a ratio cannot exist.

Logically, this is a perfectly valid argument. But intuitively, it
doesn't make much sense. "You can't write this ratio because if you did,
it would be *evil*!" Um... OK? So how come you can't do it then?

On the other hand, any positive integer can be represented as the
product of unique prime numbers, each raised to a positive integral
power. For example, 99 = 3^2 * 11^1. And when you square a number, you
simply double all the exponents. Hence, 99^2 = 9801 = 3^4 * 11^2.

Now A/B = Sqrt(2) is equivalent to A^2/B^2 = 2. And in order for the
ratio to be 2, A^2 and B^2 must have identical factors, except for A^2
having an exponent for 2 which is exactly one higher than the exponent
for 2 in B^2. But, as just established, the exponents of all prime
factors of a square number are always even, so this condition is
completely impossible to satisfy.

This doesn't *prove* anything, but it does explain why you can't solve
the equation, in a way which intuitively makes sense.