POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Patch objects not allowed in intersection. : Re: Patch objects not allowed in intersection. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patch objects not allowed in intersection.
From: Stephen
Date: 11 Dec 2010 13:21:40
Message: <4d03c134$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/12/2010 5:31 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 12/11/2010 10:01 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> Maybe the warning should say something like:

> howz zat ...

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_4.1#Finite_Patch_Primitives

That was quick, Jim. :-D

I actually thought that, that message should be the Pov-Ray warning.
What I think the documentation should say is along the lines of.

Solids may be differenced from bicubic patches with the output giving
the expected results. That is the solid object cuts a hole in the patch.
Differencing a bicubic patch from a solid may give unexpected results,
especially if the inverse keyword is used.

Intersecting a solid and a bicubic patch will give the expected results.
That is the parts of the patch that intersect the solid object will be
visible.

Merging a solid and a bicubic patch will remove the parts of the bicubic
patch that intersect the solid.

<end>

It is a bit wordy and could use some sub-editing.

--
Regards
     Stephen