POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt : Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Dec 2010 07:14:25
Message: <4d036b21$1@news.povray.org>
> This paper seems like a pretty accurate description of everything that
> is wrong with mathematical teaching, and society at large.

Although it did leave me wondering for a moment: Am I actually "good at
math"? Or am I just good at following directions?

> People seem
> to think that mathematics is about moving symbols around on a sheet of
> paper according to a set of complex and technical rules.

By contrast, this paper seems to assert that mathematics is about
constructing abstractions and building theories out of them as a matter
of creativity. Obviously I've never seen any cutting-edge mathematics
(and I never will), but I've always thought of mathematics looking at
interesting systems and discovering their properties, out of simple
human curiosity. Certainly that's why *I* explore mathematics; it's the
desire to know everything about everything.

(Well, "everything" is an exaggeration. There are plenty of fields of
mathematics that are so utterly boring that you have to wonder why
anybody studies them - set theory, number theory, category theory, etc.)

The paper, on the other hand, likes it sound like doing mathematics is
like modern art - an essentially empty and pointless exercise designed
to impress art critics and other artists, in the style of the Emperor's
Magical Suit. And here I was thinking it was about furthering mankind's
knowledge...

Seriously. I enjoy exploring mathematical ideas just for the hell of it.
But you just never know when this stuff will end up being useful.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/