POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Patch objects not allowed in intersection. : Re: Patch objects not allowed in intersection. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patch objects not allowed in intersection.
From: Alain
Date: 10 Dec 2010 11:27:21
Message: <4d0254e9$1@news.povray.org>

> On 10/12/2010 10:23 AM, Warp wrote:
>> I don't understand how it could work ok with a bicubic patch, because
>> a bicubic patch has no well-defined interior.
>>

> That is my understanding too but I did a couple of tests before posting.
> In the cases I tried it gave me the results I expected. (Assuming that a
> patch can be used in a difference or intersection.)
>
>> (Meshes don't have one either, by default, but an interior calculation
>> for closed meshes can be turned on with the 'inside_vector' feature.
>> IIRC discs work like planes in that they divide the space into two parts:
>> the outside and the inside. However, because the visible surface does not
>> cover the entire partition, they will cause odd behavior when used in
>> CSG.)
>>

> That is true, discs do cause odd behavior when used in CSG.

You may difference FROM a patch. It will only cut the parts of the patch
that are not inside the solid object.
An intersection should give the same result: Only the part of the patch
that intersects the solid object if the patch is the first object.

The message is mostly a warning as the result may not be what you expect.

Alain