POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The ups and downs of computing : Re: The ups and downs of computing Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:11:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ups and downs of computing
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Dec 2010 11:04:59
Message: <4d024fab$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Heh, yeah. (Although... I thought it was actually Eiffel, the language
> for *reusable* software?)

Both. But mainly for reliable software.

>>> Apparently the compiler's dead code elimination works quite well.
>>
>> It's not hard if every function is in a separate .o blob.
>
> Yeah, there's an option to do that. It tends to produce thousands of
> tiny object files, which sometimes freaks the linker out. (Apparently.)
> It also takes /forever/ to compile and link.

No. Then you concatenate them all into a .a file.  A .a file is simply
essentially a zip file full of .o files.

With a .so, there's no way of knowing which functions the caller will call,
because linking happens after you've already distributed the .so file.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: