POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Creating a rotating gem : Re: Creating a rotating gem Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating a rotating gem
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 10 Dec 2010 06:39:15
Message: <4d021163$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/10/2010 04:27 AM, Bidski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to make myself a rotating gem. I found some sample code from a
> different ray tracer program and proceeded to try and "import" it into POV-Ray.
> However, the output that I am getting is far from the intended output and I am
> at a complete loss as to what I need to do to fix it.
>
> I have included links to 4 images. The GIF file is what I am trying to achieve.
> Stone1.bmp, Stone2.bmp and Stone3.bmp and the outputs that I can get by
> modifying the specular and roughness flags but I cant get the full clarity
> throughout the picture.
>
> The picture is made by using a mesh of 48 triangles, all with the same texture
> and the mesh itself has an interior specifying the IoR and a couple of other
> flags.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I might need to do in order to get this looking right?
> (I would much prefer (detailed) pointers to answers as an answer would defeat
> the purpose of learning)
>

> Thanks in advance
> Bidski
>
> http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll167/Bidskii/diamondrot.gif
> http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll167/Bidskii/stone1.jpg
> http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll167/Bidskii/stone2.jpg
> http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll167/Bidskii/stone3.jpg

have you explored the glass.inc file that comes with the distribution
... besides textures there are macros that might be helpful ... some ior
defs too

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_7.2#glass.inc.2C_glass_old.inc
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_7#IORs