POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are rather apt : Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I haven't read the entire paper yet, but the analogies are ratherapt
From: Warp
Date: 10 Dec 2010 02:16:59
Message: <4d01d3eb@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Geometry, trigonometry and in some cases even calculus has been quite
> > useful in graphical-heavy and game programming.

> But in a sense, that's because you're simulating physics.

  I'm not so sure I would call, for example, the problem "is this point
inside this polygon?" a problem of physics. It sounds mostly a problem
of pure mathematics.

> None of those
> apply to programming a board game, for example.

  If you need to program an AI opponent for such a board game, it certainly
requires knowledge on several sub-branches of mathematics. Perhaps not eg.
trigonometry (unless the board game is more heavily based on the actual
geometry of the board), but certainly others.

--
                                                          - Warp