POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : The Menger Sponge Conundrum : The Menger Sponge Conundrum Server Time
28 Sep 2024 06:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  The Menger Sponge Conundrum
From: stbenge
Date: 9 Dec 2010 13:39:45
Message: <4d012271@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm trying to get the Menger Sponge working with my Kaleidoscopic IFS
setup, but the geometry is doubled along the Z-axis.

I'm replacing

KIFS_0(
  x*Scale-CX*(Scale-1),
  y*Scale-CY*(Scale-1),
  z*Scale-CZ*(Scale-1))
)

with

KIFS_0(
  x*Scale-CX*(Scale-1),
  y*Scale-CY*(Scale-1),
  select( -(z*Scale-.5*CZ*(Scale-1)), (z*Scale-CZ*(Scale-1)),
)

which should work the same as the "if" statement in the last example of
the first post in this thread:
http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/kaleidoscopic-%28escape-time-ifs%29/?PHPSESSID=47d4a7c03e14fe8cb7b5e50f56dcb0dd

I have battled with translation issues during the entire creation
process. Doing things in POV-Ray is quite a bit different than other
methods, but am not complaining since other things are made easier. But
I'm pretty sure that is why it doesn't work as expected...

Any thoughts on this matter are appreciated!

Sam