POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : trying to understand the mesh_camera : trying to understand the mesh_camera Server Time
28 Jun 2024 03:05:09 EDT (-0400)
  trying to understand the mesh_camera
From: bitman
Date: 8 Dec 2010 13:52:35
Message: <4cffd3f3$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Guys

I have some questions to understand the concept of the mesh_camera, maybe you can shed
some light on this:

1) I learned by reading the wiki that each pixel in the resulting image needs one face
in a camera mesh.
Just to ensure that I got it right, does it mean that a mesh like this could be used
to create an image with width 4 and height 2 ?

+----+----+
| 1 /| 3 /|    1 2 3 4
|  / |  / |
| /  | /  |
|/ 2 |/ 4 |
+----+----+
| 5 /| 7 /|    5 6 7 8
|  / |  / |
| /  | /  |
|/ 6 |/ 8 |
+----+----+

2) can I imagine a mesh_camera as an insects eye?
Each facette representing one ray and its direction looking out to the world in a
slightly different direction?

3) Is it true that I need a mesh of the right dimensions to match exactly the
resolution of my resulting image?
that implies that I had to prepare a different mesh whenever I change the resolution

4) Are there already tools to create plane meshes of given resolution?
Otherwise I had to write a script or Povray Macro to do this.

5) Using faces of a mesh for the mesh_camera seems to be gratuitously complicated to
me.
Why didn't the programmer choose a bunch of vectors, that could also describe the
origin and direction of rays.
Just a quick thought that made me wonder.
I think there must be another reason beside that it can't be called mesh_camera if it
is made using vectors :o

thanks