POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : non spherical sphere : Re: non spherical sphere Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: non spherical sphere
From: clipka
Date: 8 Dec 2010 07:50:15
Message: <4cff7f07$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.12.2010 09:40, schrieb scott:

>> If you create a scene using a specific aspect ratio and publish it,
>> then it's not ok anymore.
>
> The problem is though the alternative is also not ok (but in a different
> way). In extreme cases it's obvious, but if someone renders a 1280x1024
> desktop wallpaper at 1600x1200 it might not be obvious things are a
> little distorted. Currently as scene-author you need to decide which
> behaviour you prefer when your scene gets rendered at a different aspect
> ratio (even if you're rendering it yourself, eg for different monitors).

This topic has been discussed over and over and over again - so rather
than discuss what is the best approach to solve the issue with the tools
available, I propose to fast-forward the discussion to the point where
POV-Ray's current toolbox for handling aspect ratio issues is found to
be incomplete.

See http://bugs.povray.org/task/85 for information on feature proposals
to mitigate this issue.

For the time being, my personal recommendation for people like me who
don't want to bother much about aspect ratio is to use the famous
image_width/image_height approach, irregardless of what that
equally-famous but somewhat outdated FAQ recommends - because chances
are they won't be rendering to non-square-pixel targets, nor be too
outraged if someone happened to render their scene at a "wrong" aspect
ratio.

For all those who want their scenes to be "aspect-ratio safe", I'd
suggest to use a simple workaround like:

#define AspectRatio = 4/3;
camera {
   up    y/AspectRatio
   right x
   #if (image_width/image_height <> AspectRatio)
     #warning "Unexpected aspect ratio.\n"
     #error "Comment out this line if you know what you are doing.\n"
   #end
}

And finally, for people who want to be constructive about this issue,
I'd suggest picking up the glove to write a macro library to help
dealing with aspect ratio.