POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
3 Sep 2024 23:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Dec 2010 11:10:58
Message: <4cfe5c92$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Snort. Worse, I had to read a lot of the "great whatnots" in school, as
> I am sure a lot of other people did. As near as I could tell, "great"
> meant wordy, weak plotted and boring, mixed with a bit of, albeit
> understandable, confusion, delusion, bigotry, and/or cluelessness.

This is what I was talking about, in part. Some of these novels were the
first to explore the themes they spoke of in a way that contemporaries could
understand. But, being the first, they weren't always the best, nor were
they particularly written to survive the ages.

But they're culture. If I say "Godot is expected shortly" or "We're not in
Kansas any more" or "sour grapes", you have an entire cultural background of
associations to draw on.

Video games will be art when I can refer to someone as a Paul Denton and you
know what I'm saying about that person.  We're not there yet, but it will
eventually happen. We've only had maybe one generation of people growing up
with video games being common. I was in high school or so when Pong was
cutting edge, in college when Pac-Man was cutting edge.

(Indeed, we're almost there. I think that if you saw some fat lady shopping
for donuts and I made the "wacca-wacca-wacca" noise, you'd probably
understand instantly what I'm saying.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: