POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Limbo : Re: Limbo Server Time
3 Sep 2024 21:12:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limbo
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Dec 2010 17:22:00
Message: <4cfd6208$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> I wasn't referring to all opinions, merely subjective ones.  Clearly a
> doctor's opinion on a medical issue is based on objective criteria (or
> at least it is supposed to be).  But some of what Ebert might have to
> say on a given work is reflective of tastes that we don't necessarily
> share.  Why are his tastes superior to ours?

I'm not sure one can easily rule out objective criteria that one cannot
enunciate. What makes you think Ebert's opinions aren't based on objective
criteria he just can't explain?

Or, as another example, one could survey a large number of people and
discover that 90% of them like peanut butter, but only 6% like broccoli.
 From this, one could say "peanut butter tastes better than broccoli." Yet
that's based entirely on subjective opinions.

Is Shakespeare a better writer than Ebert?  What objective criteria do you
use to show that Beethoven's music is superior to Def Leopard?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: